Literary Life    |    Reflections    |    Chasing My Bliss

Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Change of Heartrating: 4 of 5 stars


I loved this book but could admit it's not a book for everybody. This book involves lots of different religious doctrine including the Gnostic Gospels and many points of views on religion all together (A Catholic priest who is questioning his faith, a Rabbi, an Agnostic, an Atheist, a Televangelist and not to mention the possible next Messiah....who also happens to be an inmate on death row.) I felt she did an amazing job with the characters and their views on religion but I personally don't follow an organized religion so i was able to look at it with an open mind and enjoy the very well researched history of the various doctrines. I can see how some could get upset because Jodi Picoult does tread on a pretty thin line with it but I believe she did it tactfully and with grace. As for me, thanks to this book I am going to pick up the 'Gnostic Gospels of Thomas (and maybe even Mary Magdalene) and read more about them.

On another note, I don't feel we learned a lot about the victims family and feel it lacked a lot on the actual plot. The book is advertised to be about a mothers loss and a mans need for justice but the plot continually gets lost in the big religious debate and then lacks on the other details.

Although it was very predictable and more of a religious history lesson then a book about capital punishment and loss; I enjoyed it thoroughly and had a hard time putting it down. (Not to mention it left me in tears at the end.) All-in-all a great quick read. =)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." ~ Paul Sweeney