Literary Life    |    Reflections    |    Chasing My Bliss

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Time Traveler's WifeMy rating: 3 of 5 stars

I honestly have a love-hate relationship with this book. The storyline was well thought out, mesmerizing but the author got in the way of the story. Her need to impress the reader with her knowledge of art and music did not serve the story but took away from it with wasted pages.

Another problem I had with the book was her derogatory word choices. When one is having sexual encounters with ones spouse how often do they use the word f*ck to describe something romantic? And what woman in her right mind would describe her private area as her c*nt when pleasuring herself? Plus the sex scene between the two Henry's had me re-reading it over and over to see if I was reading it correctly. None of this had to do with the story and could have been omitted so that the author could explore the plot better.

The actual story was very romantic and had me sitting on the edge of my seat waiting and wondering what would happen next. A definite tear jerker.

I think if Niffenegger worked more on character development this book could have been the five star that so many people are giving it. For me, it needed a bit more work and rates more as a 3.5 stars.

Overall, a good read and one that can be devoured on a rainy afternoon with a box of tissues close.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

I've had the same problem with other books, where the author seems to want to use the F word unnecessarily. I'm going to read this at some point but that is going to put me off, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." ~ Paul Sweeney